Monday, February 10, 2014

First Day at Olympic Park

The day is finally here! We went to Olympic Park and cheered on our team in their first game. It was so exciting! We started our day off with the breakfast buffet at the hotel. My favorite part was the crepes. My family makes these occasionally, but we call them Swedish pancakes. I have the feeling I will be eating LOTS of them!  
Then we had a bit of time before we needed to head to the game, so my husband and Wesley went back to bed and Carter and I stayed in our room and worked. He did a little school work and I figured out how to get pictures on the blog. Well, figured it out enough to get a few pictures on, I have found it is much easier to do it on my laptop(it is in the states) than the IPad. Boo. So I apologize for the non-captioned, large pictures at the end of my last post.
Then we jumped on the train to head to Olympic Park. It takes about 45 minutes to get there, but that is not bad. The train is clean, easy to use, and seems very safe. We even saw a porpoise playing in the Black Sea on our way in! However, not everything in this area is beautiful and we can also see that from the train. The news about stray animals is true and we see many from the train.
At Olympic Park we had to first verify our spectator passes. Everyone has to have one and wear it at all  times, though the line looked long, it did not take us too long to get through. Then we had to meet a man from the US Curling Association to get our tickets for the day. This also went smoothly and we were finally ready to head into the park. 
The park was amazing and huge! The curling venue, called the Ice Cube, is at the exact opposite side of the park as the entrance so we did a lot of walking, but then got a good sense of the layout of the park and got to see almost everything as we walked by! They have lots of Russian culture on display! We saw lots of accordion players, including two men that were playing almost hip-hop on the accordions, dancers, singers, and marching bands! Just amazing! The caldron is in the center so we saw that of course, too. Since Debbie is a four time Olympian, we had all been to multiple Olympic Games and we all agreed this is by far the best set up of any of the games since '98 because everything is right there! It is more like going to Disney or Great America, whereas in places like Salt Lake City, we were an hour away from anything else because the curling venue was in Ogden, but nothing else was.
We also got to see our first curling game. It was exciting! Team USA played very well in the beginning of the game, but then struggled at the end and lost to the Swiss. There is a ton of curling left to do, so no worries. We play Russia tomorrow morning and then Great Britian in the evening. We will have to cheer really loudly because as expected, the crowd is heavily occupied by Russian fans!  
I hope you will be able to watch too and cheer for them from back home!
After our game we went to the P&G Family Home(see older post to see what it was like in Vancouver) and had dinner. It was yummy, but the P&G is smaller than usual and this time doesn't have a computer room. I was going to relie on these computers to upload photos from my camera, but now I can't. Therefore I don't have any new pictures because they are all on my camera. Boo. I will do a better job tomorrow. For me some of the fun of the Olympics is spotting athletes, and the P&G is the place to do it! Today we saw Lolo Jones, Shani Davies, (don't know if I spelled everyone's name correctly) and my favorite was Jaime Anderson! She came in with her mom and five sisters, and the GOLD medal around her neck! She gave a small speech, we watched her gold medal run, and then congratulated her with a toast! Goosebumps!! Incredible experience! Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings! Go USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment